On Being Alt in an Alt Fashion

 One thing that really boggled me when I first looked into lolita fashion was how vocal folks were about visible tattoos or facial piercings not fitting in with the fashion. Tattoos were often described as garish or not feminine enough for such a delicate style and many felt the ink "took away" from the coord. Similar could be said for colored hair or facial piercings. 

I never fully understood it, since in the end it is an alternative fashion- why exclude alternative peoples from it? In its heart of heart it is a style designed as a counter culture to not fit the "ideal woman" nor the male gaze, how could tattoos or piercings or vibrant locks be anything but appropriate? Especially for a style as loud as lolita.

I grew up with an alternative parent who had ink and various piercings my whole life so I viewed these as "normal". I even got my first tattoo as a birthday gift! I have loved collecting these pieces as much as I have collecting my wardrobe and feel both have molded me in their own ways. Tattoos have allowed me to meet new artists, make friends in new places, and even bring comfort to those at my workplace as a built-in ice breaker! I've also personally seen piercings as a way to highlight features I already love about myself, such as my nose, lips, even my eyebrows at a point.

So in the spirit of celebrating the different in a less-than-normal fashion community, today's blog will be a little tattoo tour!

Orchids are my Mom's favorite flower, and we both share a love for purple. Between is my favorite herb- lavender! Relaxing, healing, and so prominent in my own spiritual belief.

top; Yuta from Jujutsu Kaisen, a manga panel of him saying "I want to believe that it's ok to keep living". Something I personally felt and connected with, I think of it as my semicolon.
bottom; Mimikyu with halloween candy. This one I got for fun as an anime tattoo convention with a good friend! Met a super cool artist and got one of my favorite pokemon!

My ever-loved Holy Lantern. Lolita has become such a huge part of me, what better than to immortalize my most prominent prints

top; Suguintou from Rozen Maiden. The original inspiration for me getting into lolita fashion with a story I both pity and relate with. 
middle; Death Tarot. In tarot this card is one of starting over, of reaping the wheat to plan for the new year. I got this shortly after some major life events to keep myself from wallowing in the before and look forward
bottom; Biblical angel from Evangelion. My favorite anime and happened across flash of my favorite part- a super brief logo that flashes on the screen before each episode.

Unit 01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion. My brother and I always joke you need to be in a special place of depression to fully enjoy this anime, and it rings true for us both. While I got the head of her going berserk, he has a matching piece of her hand from the battle scene. 


Unfortunately some are in more covered spots, but I'm so elated anytime I can see my pieces peek through with my coords. Though I have seen the mentality of the fashion change and grow, I hope we continue to evolve to drop this old rhetoric of not loving alternative folks in alternative fashion. Lets all be weird together!

And, of course, some full body shots of the entire coord;






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Lonliness

On Comms and Lonlitas